Registrar FAQs

Frequently asked questions by GP registrars.

Consulting hours

Q: What are the consulting hour requirements if I am working full-time or part-time?
A: Booked consulting hours vary depending on the term level. Please refer to page 23 of the Registrar Handbook for recommended consulting hours per week table and futher information.

Q: What are the in-practice teaching time requirements for GP registrars?
A:  It will depend on what term level you are. Please refer to page 22 of the Registrar Handbook where the in-practice teaching hours are outlined.

Available subsidies

Q: Are there any subsidies available if I train rurally?
A: Registrars undertaking a placement in a rural location may be eligible for a rural support payment. For further information, please refer to the Rural Support Payments Policy on page 17 of the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook.

Registrars may also be eligible for the General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP) or the Rural Procedural Grants Program (RPGP). Please refer to the following links for more information:

College matters

Q: Do I need to be a member of the college I am training towards a fellowship with?
A: Yes. All registrars must be a financial RACGP or ACRRM member from the time of joining AGPT and throughout their training. WAGPET shares your contact details with both colleges so they can keep you informed of college matters like membership and its purpose.Please refer to ACRRM's website or RACGP's website for details.

Q: Can I get financial help from WAGPET to pay for ACRRM or RACGP fees, including summative assessments, resources, courses and enrolment fees?
A: No. These are your responsibility.

Q: When do I have to decide which fellowship I want to train for?
A: You must decide on applying to either college to enter the AGPT program.

Applications are made through the College(s) that you wish to achieve fellowship with:

For further information, please refer to the AGPT Training Obligations Policy.


Q: Can I defer my AGPT Training?
A: Generally, deferral of the commencement of training on the AGPT program is not permitted. Deferral of the commencement of training will only be considered in extenuating and unforeseen circumstances. All deferral requests must be submitted in writing with supporting evidence attached before the commencement of the AGPT program training year, however, approval is not automatic. Please refer to the current AGPT policies for further information.


Q: What is my education requirement as a part-time GPT1/PRRT1 registrar?
A: GP registrars are required to complete their GP365 education in the first 12 months, regardless of whether they are working full or part-time. This is to ensure all GP registrars have the equivalent levels of education to support safe quality practice within the first 12 months.

Q: How fast should I progress through GP365?
A: GP registrars should be completing approximately three Key Clinical Activities (KCAs) per week, which equates to approximately one Learning Essential Module per fortnight.

Q: What happens if I am not keeping up with the GP365 requirements?
A: You should speak with your GP supervisor about your progress and any issues or difficulties in the first instance. WAGPET program training advisors and regional medical educators will also be there to monitor and provide direct assistance as well. GP registrars who fail to complete GP365 requirements will not be assessed as exam ready and may find themselves unable to sit their College assessments.

Q: Do I have to complete a KCA if I have demonstrated significant konwledge and experienece of the topic?
A: The onus is on the GP supervisor to make that assessment. If your supervisor believes you are very skilled and experieneced in a certain topic, then the KCA responses for that Learning Essential Module may be minimal. You should disucss each KCA with your supervisor and, if appropriate, they may sign off that KCA as complete. 

Q: What happens if I don't see any patients that relate to Key Clinical Activity (KCA) topics?
A: You may use a case you saw in another rotation prior to commencing General Practice training, role play a theoretical case with your supervisor, or reflect on one of your supervisors cases that is relevant to a KCA.

Q: Why don't the 21 Learning Essentials Modules cover all topics for GP training?
A: The Learning Essential modules are designed to be a starting point and provide you with some focus and direction with respect to your study. The majority of teaching and learning will occur on the job and GP365 is not designed to cover the full spectrum of the GP training curriculum.

Q: How long are GP365 logins valid for?
A: Your GP365 login is valid for the duration of your training, although we may turn it off for extended periods of leave. 

Q: What are the workshop dates?
A: The workshop schedule is released at the start of each semester and registrars are notified via email. The central workshop dates are also available on the Key Dates page.

Q: I have forgotten my UX portal login details. How do I reset it?
A: To reset your username or password, please email 

Q: I have not yet heard from my ECT visitor – what do I do?
A: If you have attempted to contact the ECT Visitor themselves and have not been successful, please contact your program training advisor.

Q: How do I access AMH and eTG through the WAGPET website?
A: Once you have logged into UX Portal, there is an “External links” section that has a link to the WAGPET “eLearning” website. Access to AMH and eTG is under the “Educational Resources” section in eLearning. 

Extension of training time

Q: What happens if I don’t get my fellowship papers in on time or back in time?
A:  You won’t have a provider number and so your patients won’t have access to a Medicare rebate which will effect your ability to work in a practice. You can avoid this by applying for an extension of training time while awaiting fellowship that gives you a 12-week provider number in a WAGPET accredited practice. Extensions beyond those 12 weeks are possible but few. Please refer to the AGPT Extension of Training Time Policy.

Q: Where can I work while I am awaiting my fellowship paperwork?
A:  You can get a provider number to work in a general practice accredited by WAGPET against ACRRM or the RACGP standards. You cannot go on leave or get a provider number from another 3GA program. Please refer to the AGPT Extension of Training Time Policy.

Q: If I fail any of the exams, what happens?
A: If you've complied with all the WAGPET training and education requirements, you may be eligible for additional assistance and extra training time to try again. If you haven't complied with ongoing offered support and attempts to assist you, you may be withdrawn from the program for non-compliance. Please refer to the AGPT Extension of Training Time Policy.

Leave during training

Q: Can I start my AGPT on leave?
A: No. You must have a job with either a hospital for the CCT/Hospital year, or a position approved by WAGPET in GPT1/PRRT1 or an ARST/AST. You would be withdrawn from the AGPT program and would need to apply for the following year. Please refer to the AGPT Leave Policy.

Q: Can I take leave during training?8
A: Catergory 1 leave applies to all registrars, and includes but is not limited to parental leave, sick leave, anmd carers leave. Category 2 leave is avilable for up to six months and may be used for personal reasons, if the registrar is unable to secure an appropriate training placement, or for any other purpose not included under Category 1 leave. In certain circumstance, an additional six months may be approved. However, registrars are encouraged to train continuously where possible in order to get the most out of the training program. For more info please refer to the AGPT Leave Policy.

Q: What are the leave arrangements for registrars starting or adding to their family?
A: Maternity and paternity leave are your legal right, but if you've had more maternity or paternity leave than the length of your training program, you will have to withdraw from training. Please refer to the Leave Policy in the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook.

Q: Where is the Application for Leave form?
A: To apply for leave, download the Application for Leave form, fill it out and email it to This will then be assessed by your training advisor, and we will be in touch to notify you of the outcome.

Q: I need to take category 1 leave part way through a semester.  Do I need to redo the entire semester?
A: No. The time you have already completed before going on leave is counted towards training time.

Q: Who approves my category 1 leave?  Can I return to the same practice after leave?
A: Both WAGPET and your practice must approve your Category 1 leave.

Q: What happens if my category 1 leave extends beyond my current placement?
A: If you do not have a confirmed placement, you will need to reapply for a new placement through the usual process. This may or may not be in the practice you were with prior to your leave.

Q: Can I restart my training midway through a semester?
A: Yes, subject to you having a confirmed placement. However, you cannot start AGPT mid-sememster. 

Medicare provider number

Q: Who should I send my Medicare provider number application to?
A: All AGPT application forms for provider numbers will be pre-populated by WAGPET and then sent to the GP registrar for completion and to confirm the pre-filled details. Once this part of the process is completed, you need to give the form to your GP supervisor and training facility for their contribution and then it is your responsibility to return it to WAGPET for processing via AGPT and Medicare.

Q: When are provider number applications due to WAGPET?
A: Provider number applications are due on 15th of April for Semester 2 placements of that year and 15th October for Semester 1 placements of the following year.

Q: What happens if I don't get a provider number for all my practice locations when I need to start working there?
A: You won't be able to work in practice because your patients won't be able to claim a Medicare rebate and you won't be able to bulk bill or bill some specific items. Obtaining a provider number takes time so follow the prompts closely.

Q: When will my new billing rate from Medicare come through once I have done Mental Health training?
A: It takes around four to six weeks for Medicare to process this information.  If you have not heard from Medicare six weeks after you have submitted your post work, call 132 150 or email them at


Q: How do I know which mini release sessions to attend?
A: Mini release sessions are grouped according to the location of your GP Practice. This allows WAGPET to coordinate the mini release sessions in the most efficient way. This may mean that your practice will have to plan to have multiple GP registrars away for mini-release sessions at any one time.

Part-time training

Q: Can I work part-time for some or most or all of my training?
A: Please refer to the Registrar Handbook under the 'Your Training' section for a full explanation of part-time and full-time training options and requirements. 

Q: If I am full-time, can I change to part-time?
A: You can apply to change to part-time via an Application for Part-Time Training, which you need to send to the Central Services Team at You will not be able to change to part-time mid-semester unless there are unforeseen and extenuating circumstances.

Q: What happens if I don’t complete the registrar declaration when I start training?  Who do I talk to if I feel I cannot sign it for any reason?
A: There are serious consequences, for example, being excluded from future placements, forced leave and ultimately withdrawal. The declaration is your commitment to us that you will participate in the AGPT and meet its requirements in the time allocated. If you have any questions about signing this, you should contact your Program Training Advisor immediately.

Pathway changes

Q: I have finished my moratorium. When can I transfer to the general pathway from the rural pathway?
A: If you are an overseas trained doctor (OTD) and you have fulfilled your moratorium requirements, you can apply for a general pathway position but there is no guarantee it would be approved. You may not have entered the AGPT with a score high enough for your year of entry or WAGPET might not have a place due to our obligations to the rural community. Even if it is cleared at WAGPET, the approval must come from the Department of Health (DOH). Please refer to the AGPT Transfer Policy.

Q: I am a rural pathway registrar but I can only get the skills training I need in a metropolitan area?
A: If you are a rural pathway registrar that needs to take your non GP Extended Skills, Advanced Specialised Training and/or Advanced Rural Skills Training terms, you must contact WAGPET to request approval to temporarily undertake some of your training in an ASGC-RA 1 location. A transfer from the rural pathway to the general pathway is not required in this instance. Please refer to the AGPT Transfer Policy 2017.

Q: Can I transfer between pathways?
A: All transfer pathway applications must be discussed with your program training advisor. For more information on transfers between pathways, please refer to the Transfers Policy in the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook.


Q: I am currently on leave, am I able to commence GP in 2020? 
A: Unless you have completed and had a recognised prior learning application approved, you must complete your first 12 months in a hospital position that you must arrange personally.

Q: I am currently on leave, should I look for practices for 2020 if my recognised prior learning application hasn’t been approved? 
A: You should discuss your application as soon as possible with your program training advisor who will be able to provide you with instructions on what to do. 

Q: I am currently completing my 12 month hospital term, do I need to start looking for practices for 2020? 
A: Yes, you will need to apply for positions at training facilities for each semester for 2020. This will include submitting applications to the training facilities and attending interviews.

Q: Do I cover all the paediatrics requirements to start GP in 2020? 
A: To commence community GP training, you must have completed a 10 week pure paediatrics rotation, or a 20 week dilute paediatrics rotation, or submit evidence of having completed the Diploma of Child Health to your program training advisor.

Q: Where can I find a list of available practices to that I can contact for my preferences?
A: Please refer to the Facility Finder page; capacity is updated April to June each year. 

Q: Can I apply to different practices in the same region?
A: Yes, you can apply to work at a different practice in the same region but you will need to ensure you meet your pathway training obligations.

Q: Am I required to negotiate a contract with my training facility?
A: Yes. The contract must meet the National Terms and Conditions for the Employing of Registrars (NTCER). Your contract confirms your placement.

Provider number after receiving Fellowship

Q: Do I need to apply for my own provider number once I have Fellowed with a College?
A: You will need to apply to Medicare independently for a provider number. Any further queries regarding provider numbers after fellowing should be directed to Medicare. You can contact Medicare on 1300 302 122.

Reapplying to the AGPT program

Q: If I withdraw voluntarily from the AGPT program, can I reapply in future years?
A: Yes. However, your selection score and previous application will not be accepted and you enter as any other candidate in the subsequent year of your choice. There are no sanctions applied for having withdrawn voluntarily. Please refer to the AGPT Withdrawal Policy for further information.

Q: If I am withdrawn from the AGPT program, can I reapply in future years?
A: This will depend on why you were withdrawn. WAGPET and the Department of Health (DOH) will consider each situation on a case-by-case basis. This will apply if you seek selection to a different Regional Training Organisation (RTO). Please refer to the AGPT Withdrawal Policy and the AGPT Selection Process for further information.

Rural location support

Q: What help do I get to move to where my placement is and live there while training?
A: The Rural Support Payments Policy (see the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook) is provided to support some costs incurred by registrars who undertake eligible training terms in designated training locations.

Q: How do I know if I’m eligible?
A: If you are undertaking placements in eligible training terms (GPT1/PRRT1, GPT2/PRRT2, GPT3/PRRT3, extended skills/PRRT4, mandatory elective and ARST/AST) in training locations MMM3 or higher, you may be eligible for a support payment for each semester.

Q: Why is MMM classification 2 not eligible for any payment if it’s rural?
A: MMM classification two locations are generally within 20km road distance, of a town with a population >50,000. Support payments are intended to provide some financial assistance for GP registrars in more geographically remote locations.

Q: What happens if my placement changes mid semester (i.e. going on approved leave)? Will I have to pay WAGPET back my payment?
A: Yes, all funds related to the portion of the placement not completed must be returned. WAGPET will issue an invoice to you for the return of these funds. Funds must be returned to WAGPET within 30 days.

Q: When will I receive my support payment?
A: If you are eligible, you will be contacted by the Finance team to submit a tax invoice to WAGPET for the support payment in about week four of each semester.

Q: How do I receive my support payment?
A: If you are eligible, you are required to submit a tax invoice to WAGPET within 60 days of the notice of eligibility.

Q: Will the support payment be deposited into my account?
A: All support payments will be paid by electronic funds transfer; bank details (account name, BSB and account number) should be included on the invoice to WAGPET or you can provide a completed Direct Payment Authority form.

Q: Where can I get a copy of the tax invoice?
A: If you do not have your own tax invoice, there is a generic template available on the WAGPET website. Claims received outside of 60 days will not be paid.

Q: Do I need to get an Australian Business Number (ABN)?
A: No. If you do not have an ABN, WAGPET will withhold 47% of the payment amount in accordance with Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements. The amount withheld will then be paid to the ATO and WAGPET will provide you with an “ATO Payment Summary – Withholding where ABN not Quoted” for the taxation return.

Q: How are the payments calculated?
A: Payments are calculated based on Modified Monash Model which categorises metropolitan, regional, rural and remote areas according to both geographical remoteness and town size. The system was developed to recognise the challenges in attracting health workers to more remote and smaller communities. It also takes into account the full-time equivalent weeks of training for the term – e.g. full-time will be twenty-six weeks, part-time will be less, split terms will be the number of weeks completed at each training level.

Q: Will I still need to provide a lease agreement or rental receipts if I’m using the support payment for rent or to travel to my placement?
A: No, how you choose to use your rural support payment is at your discretion.

Q: What should I use my support payments for?
A: Support payments should be used to assist with the costs associated with your general practice training such as, attending workshops/exams, relocation, emergency courses and FARGP enrolments. However, the use of the funds is entirely at your discretion.

Q: Why is the support payment reduced in GPT3/PRRT3 and Extended Skills/PRRT4 terms?
A: Educational attendance requirements for GP registrars in these term levels is less than in the first twelve months of training. GP registrars will also have access to higher GPRIP payment rates if they have continued to train rurally.

Q: Will I receive a support payment if I am completing my training part-time?
A: Yes, the support payment is calculated pro-rata based on part-time training as per the Training Time Policy in the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook.

Supervision requirements

Q. How much supervision should I be receiving?
A. It will depend on what term level you are:

  • 80% on-site supervision for GPT1/PRRT1
  • 50%  on-site supervision for GPT2/PRRT2
  • 25% on-site supervision for GPT3/PRRT3
  • 25% on-site supervision for extended skills/PRRT4.
Training locations

Q: What training can I do in an Aboriginal Medical Service (AMS)?
A: Providing you meet the criteria set by the AMS and WAGPET, you can do any training terms apart from hosiptal or core clinical training. Aboriginal Medical Services get a salary support for most but not all terms, and this may affect what terms they offer. Please refer to the AGPT Salary Support Program Policy.

Q: Can I do all my training in one location, perhaps even in the same general practice?
A: In order for you to gain as much experience as possible, you are required to train in more than one practice. However, if you are committed to a rural region, let your Program Training Advisor know as soon as possible as you may be able to undertake all of your core training in that region subject to placement capacity. Please refer to the Enrolment, Placement and Employment Policy in the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook for detailed information.

Training time

Q: What happens if I do not meet all my training obligations in the time allowed?
A: You will finish with the AGPT and with WAGPET, but you will not be eligible for fellowship of either College. In the case of the RACGP, you will not be eligible to sit for the exams after leaving the AGPT, even if you have passed some components already. You can reapply to join the AGPT in the next intake. Please refer to the AGPT Training Obligations Policy for more information. 

Q: What happens if I am struggling to keep up with my training?
A: First, contact either your Program Training Advisor or your Regional Medical Educator. It is also important that you let your supervisor know and seek help from them if you need it. These situations usually come under the unforeseen and extenuating circumstances and we will work through with you how best to address and to remedy the situation. There are always options. Please refer to the AGPT Training Obligations Policy and the AGPT Remediation Policy for futher information.


Q: Can I transfer to another Regional Training Organisation (RTO)?
A: Transfers between RTOs are not automatic. They depend on the approval of the CEO of the host regional training organisation (RTO). WAGPET will consider transfers out if it can meet the financial and other conditions set by that RTO. Please refer to the AGPT Transfer Policy and the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook for more information.

Q: Can I transfer to WAGPET?
A: Transfers to WAGPET are not automatic. They depend on whether the CEO of your regional training organisation (RTO) will meet our financial and other conditions, and whether you have the selection score and training record required of a competent registrar at your stage of training. Please refer to the AGPT Transfer Policy and the WAGPET GP Registrar Policy Handbook for more information.

What are extenuating and unforeseen circumstances?

Q: What are extenuating or unforeseen circumstances?
A:  Extenuating and Unforeseen Circumstances are defined by AGPT as circumstances which were unforeseen and outside a registrar’s control when they accepted a place on the AGPT Program. These circumstances will not be considered as unforeseen if it can be determined that the circumstances were known or reasonably should have been known by the registrar prior to the acceptance of their place on the AGPT Program. All applications and requests pertaining to Extenuating and Unforeseen Circumstances of the registrar will be considered on a case by case basis. A comprehensive list of what is, and what is not, considered extenuating circumstances can be found in the Registrar Handbook. For example: getting married, or  starting a family, are not considered extenuating circumstances. 

If you can't find what you're looking for, please contact your program training advisor (PTA) for assistance.

Can't find your password? Contact our IT team at

Got a question about workshops? Contact our central team at