Government Incentives

The Commonwealth Government have several schemes that you can access to support your training.

a.    HECS / HELP Reimbursement Scheme CHECK

You can reduce your HECS debt by working in rural areas for at least 12 months full-time continuously. The scheme is for Australian graduates who have graduated in 2000 or later only. Participants in the scheme will have one fifth of their HECS fees reimbursed for each year of medical training undertaken or service provided in areas with ASGC-RA classifications 2-5. This means that over five years of working or training in a ASGC-RA 2-5 area, you could have all of your HELP fees for the study of medicine reimbursed.  

For more information visit: or email or call 1800 010 550

b.    General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP)

The Commonwealth Government provides incentive payments for GP Registrars who work in rural areas and recognises a commitment to the rural areas by increasing the payments with the length of stay. The GPRIP replaces the Rural Registrar Incentive Payment (RRIP) from 1 July 2010. The breakdown of payments is below.

ASCG-RA ClassificationPeriod of Time (years) in Rural Location

RA2 (Inner Regional)0$2,500$4,500$7,500$12,000
RA3 (Outer Regional)$4,000$6,000$8,000$13,000$18,000
RA4 (Remote)$5,500$8,000$13,000$18,000$27,000
RA5 (Very Remote)$8,000$13,000$18,000$27,000$47,000

Medicare works with GPET and WAGPET to organise the payments for you, so you don’t need to complete any forms.
For more information visit:

c.    Outer Metropolitan Registrar Payment

A general pathway registrar training with a practice in an Outer Metropolitan area will receive a payment of $2,500 for a 12 month placement (incentives are not available for placements of less than 12 months).  WAGPET will send you a tax invoice for $2,500 toward the end of your second 6 month placement.
Registrars undertaking part-time training will receive a pro-rata equivalent payment calculated by WAGPET.
To view the list of training practices in the Outer Metropolitan areas (link outermetro practices)
Outer Metropolitan Relocation Incentive Grant

In addition, as a GP Registrar on the AGPT, you could qualify for a Relocation Incentive Grant of $30,000 soon after completing your Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) Fellowship requirements. To apply, all you have to do is join an existing outer metropolitan practice and work full-time at the new location for at least two years.


Return to top