Specialised Rural & Procedural Training
If you have enrolled in the Fellowship of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (FACRRM) or Fellowship in Advanced Rural General Practice (FARGP) you must complete an additional 12 months of specialised training. The RACGP call this year Advanced Rural Skills Training (ARST), or training in an Advanced Rural Skills Post (ARSP). ACRRM refer to this year as Advanced Skills Training (AST). You may choose to develop an individual ARSP which meets your own specific interests and learning needs which requires you to submit an application and learning plan to the relevant college.
The current list of disciplines in which you can do your ARST or AST are:
- Aboriginal Health
- Child and Adolescent Health
- Emergency Medicine
- Mental Health
- Palliative Care
- Royal Flying Doctor Service
- Small Town General Practice
The compulsory requirements are listed below:
|Requirement||What you need to do|
|12 months full time, or part time equivalent||Make sure your practice or post is accredited for your training, i.e. RACGP and/or ACRRM|
|Evidence of planning your learning||Discuss with your Supervisor and Training |
|One Training meeting mid semester||We will remind you to make an appointment.|
|Placement Feedback Survey||We will enrol you in the online module, please give feedback about your placement!|
If you have a particular interest in a discipline not listed, it still may be possible to train in this area. Contact your Training Advisor or relevant college for further information.
Some important points to note:
- For the majority of disciplines you can do the ARST or AST before you commence GP Terms. Some disciplines require exposure to GP before commencing; see your Training Advisor for confirmation.
- To be awarded the FACRRM, you must undertake training in 1 discipline, for example, 12 months in obstetrics. If you want to do 2 six-month training posts in different disciplines you will need to confirm this prior to starting. Some disciplines require you to undertake a StAMPS exam. Contact ACCRM and your Training Advisor.
- The ARST for the FARGP allows you to undertake training in 2 disciplines, for example, 6 months in obstetrics and 6 months in palliative care.
- Both FACRRM and FARGP have additional modules and emergency courses that must be undertaken to be awarded the fellowship.
- Some posts have limited positions and the selection process can include a panel interview. Preference will be given to GP registrars with a genuine and proven interest in a career in rural GP. To apply complete your online Enrolment and Placement Form along with your CV.