Subsidies, Incentives and Support

You may be eligible for the Registrar Rural Support Payment to assist you with living and working in rural WA.

Subsidies, Incentives and Support

Registrar Rural Support Payment

Eligible GP registrars who receive the rural support payment will:

  • receive a single support payment per semester
  • be responsible for managing their own travel, accommodation, relocation and other costs
  • attend all mandatory workshops and budget for these expenses within the support payment provided.

The support payment amount is based on:

  • the Modified Monash Model classification for the region where you are undertaking the semester
  • your training term level
  • number of weeks training
  • part-time / full-time status.

It is your responsibility to secure accommodation for your training term. Some training facilities may lease accommodation to GP registrars, however, this should be discussed during your employment agreement negotiations. Training facilities are not obliged to pay rent for GP registrars.

For further details, please refer to the Registrar Rural Support Payment Policy and Procedure.

If you are unsure if your circumstances entitle you to the Registrar Rural Support Payment, please discuss with your Program Training Advisor.

Government Incentives

General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP)

From 1 July 2015, the General Practice Rural Incentives Programme (GPRIP) moved to the new classification system, the Modified Monash Model (MMM), and introduce new eligibility criteria to more effectively target financial incentives to doctors working in areas that experience greater difficulty attracting and retaining general practitioners.

Visit the Department of Health website for more information.

Eligibility and start date

Q. When will the new policy begin?
A. The Rural Support Payment Policy will take effect from semester one 2017.

Q. How do I know if I’m eligible?
A. Registrars undertaking placements in eligible training terms (GPT1/PRR1, GPT2/PRR2, GPT3/PRR3 extended skills/PRR4 and ARS/AST) in training locations MM3 or higher will be eligible to claim a support payment for each semester.

Q. Why is MMM region 2 not eligible for any payment if it’s rural?
A. The payment provides financial support for registrars training in designated rural and remote settings.

Q. What happens if my placement changes mid semester - i.e. going on approved leave? Will I have to pay WAGPET back my payment?
A. Yes, all funds related to the portion of the placement not completed must be returned. WAGPET will issue an invoice to the registrar for the return of these funds. Returnable funds will be required to be returned to WAGPET within 30 days in accordance with WAGPET’s Accounts Receivable Policy.

Payments, tax, invoice and receipts

Q. When will I receive my support payment?
A. Eligible registrars will be contacted by the Finance team to submit a tax invoice to WAGPET for the support payment in week four of the semester.

Q. How do I receive my support payment?
A. Eligible registrars are required to submit a tax invoice to WAGPET within 60 days of the notice of eligibility.

Q. Will the support payment be deposited into my account?
A. All support payments will be paid by electronic funds transfer; bank details (account name, BSB and account number) should be included on the invoice to WAGPET.

Q. Where can I get a copy of the tax invoice?
A. There is a generic template available on the WAGPET website. Claims received outside of six days will not be paid as per the Accounts Payable Policy.

Q. Do I need to get an Australian Business Number ABN?
A. WAGPET will withhold 46.5% of the invoice amount under Australian Taxation Office (ATO) guidelines if a registrar does not quote an Australian Business Number.  This amount will be withheld when making the payment to the registrar. WAGPET will provide the registrar with an “ATO Payment Summary – Withholding where ABN not Quoted” for their taxation return.

Q. How are the payments calculated?
A. Payments are calculated based on Modified Monash Model which categorises metropolitan, regional, rural and remote areas according to both geographical remoteness and town size. The system was developed to recognise the challenges in attracting health workers to more remote and smaller communities. It also take into account the fulltime equivalent weeks of training for the term – e.g. full-time will be twenty-six weeks, part-time will be less, split terms will be the number of weeks completed.

Q. Will I still need to provide a lease agreement or rental receipts if I’m using the support payment for rent or to travel to my placement?
 A. No receipts are required. Support payments can be used to assist with the cost associated with working in rural/remote locations.

What can the funds be used for?

Q. What should I use my support payments for?
A. Attending workshops/exams, managing costs of living in a rural and/or remote area, relocation of goods, storage, emergency courses and FARGP enrolments. Support payments can be used towards any associated cost of working in rural or remote areas. You must still attend all core and regional education events required for completion of training.

Q. Can the support payment be used to pay my mortgage?
A. Yes, the payments are to support registrars taking up rural opportunities. Use of the funds is entirely at your discretion, remembering that you are responsible for ensuring that you attend all compulsory education events and meet your training requirements.

Part-time training and term levels

Q. Why is the support payment reduced in GPT3/PRRT3 and Extended Skills/PRRT4 terms?
A. Registrars in these term levels have the ability to earn more as the commitment for educational purposes is less. They will also have access to higher GPRIP payment rates if they have continued to train rurally.

Q. Will I receive a support payment if I am completing my training part time?
A. Yes, the incentive payment is calculated pro-rata based on part-time training as per the Training Time Policy.