WAGPET provides support to the two Western Australian Universities for:
General Practice Student Network (GPSN)
GPSN is an organisation run by medical students, for medical students, to foster a greater awareness of general practice as a lifestyle and a profession.
Medical Students Society of Notre Dame (MSAND) and Western Australian Medical School Society (WAMSS)
First Wave Metro
The GPSN First Wave Scholarship Program is now in its third year providing an early positive experience in metropolitan and outer metropolitan general practice settings for 1st and 2nd year medical students. Up to 15 places are available annually. The program is managed locally, sponsored by WAGPET and GPRA.
The 2011/2012 program is supported by the following practices:
- Belridge Medical Centre
- Fremantle Family Doctors
- Lockridge General Practice
- Mead Medical
- Melville Family Health Centre
- North Street Medical
- Stirk Medical Group.
First Wave Rural
Up to 10 rural placements are available annually as part of the GPSN First Wave Scholarship Program. The Program is managed locally by WAGPET and co-sponsored by WAGPET, GPRA and Rural Health West.
Supporting practices for 2011/2012:
- Batavia Health, Geraldton
- Broome Medical Clinic, Broome
- Collie River Valley Medical Service, Collie
- Genpar Medical Service, Esperance
- Healthscope Medical Centres (Dunsborough & Broadwater Medical Centres), Dunsborough and Busselton
- Hillside Family Practice, Albany
- Pioneer Health, Albany
- Southern Regional Medical Group, Albany.
First Wave Indigenous Health Training (IHT)
Three placements in Indigenous Health Training settings are available for 3rd and 4th year medical students as part of the GPSN First Wave Scholarship Program. The Program is managed locally by WAGPET and co-sponsored by WAGPET, GPRA, AHCWA, RACGP, AMA WA and Rural Health West.
Training posts for 2011/2012 are:
- Geraldton Regional Aboriginal Medical Service, Geraldton
- Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Council, Broome
- Wirraka Maya Health Service, South Hedland
For more information regarding scholarships visit the GPSN website.